Re: [pcre-dev] Fw: [a-z] class in EBCDIC and Perl-MVS status…

Author: ph10
To: Ze'ev Atlas, Karl Williamson
CC: Pcre Exim, Ricardo SIGNES
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Fw: [a-z] class in EBCDIC and Perl-MVS status question
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:

> Hi PhilipAs promised, I posed the question to the Pel-MVS community
> and here is the answered I'v got (see below).  I admit that it was
> news to me as well, but apparently the Perl-MVS guys went the extra
> mile to do that.  I am not saying that we must follow Perl to the
> letter, but you may want to consider implementing the below in PCRE2.

I have put the [A-Z] feature on the list to think about for PCRE2.
Development is currently frozen because there is currently a release
candidate out for testing. After the next release is out (a couple of
weeks), I'll look into it.

>  If ultimately we decide not to do it ever, we have to mention it in
> the documentation as a difference with Perl.

Indeed, documentation is needed, whether or not any change is made.

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015, Karl Williamson wrote:

> Perl 5.22 also introduced the concept of a Unicode range, which you should
> think about. This makes all such ranges completely portable between ASCII and
> EBCDIC platforms. /[\N{U+04}-\N{U+06}]/ match the characters U+0004, U+0005,
> and U+0006, whatever their ordinals might be on the platform. The 5.22
> documentation has complete details. Until that is uploaded properly, you can
> see it in the source code

That seems a more involved kind of feature. Again, I've put it on a
list, but I'll wait until Perl 5.22 appears on my box before doing
anything about it.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel