Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 10.20-RC1 available for testing

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Autor: ph10
Para: Petr Pisar
CC: pcre-dev
Asunto: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 10.20-RC1 available for testing
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Petr Pisar wrote:

> Nice job.

Thanks for the testing.

> But the only thing which puzzles me is why the libpcre2_{8.16,32}'s soname was
> changed from 0 to 2. I cannot se any incompatible change in API and ABI. Is it
> because of the EBCDIC behavior change which is not visible with
> --disable-ebcdic compile-time option?

The "rules" that I have for changing the soname are these (I found them
on a web page some time ago):

1. Start with version information of 0:0:0 for each libtool library.

2. Update the version information only immediately before a public release of
your software. More frequent updates are unnecessary, and only guarantee
that the current interface number gets larger faster.

3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last update, then
increment revision; c:r:a becomes c:r+1:a.

4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the last
update, increment current, and set revision to 0.

5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release, then
increment age.

6. If any interfaces have been removed or changed since the last public
release, then set age to 0.

It was rule 5 that I was following: the new function
pcre2_callout_enumerate() has been added.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel