Re: [exim] Rate limit

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Ian Eiloart
Para: Sujit Acharyya-choudhury
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Asunto: Re: [exim] Rate limit
Hi,

Others have said how to apply a rate limit. We do the same, but we prefer a daily limit, and we actually deny (rather than 'warn’) mail that exceeds the limit. Arguably, it would be better to 'control = freeze' (rather than 'delay = 10s') the mail on the mail queue, where it would be available for inspection, and release.

Our users actually do have bursty behaviour. Staff often peak at just after 9am, and students at lunch time. So we think longer timeframes are more useful when the sanction is as strict as a 'deny' or 'freeze'.

With a 'delay = 10s', I’d describe this as teergrubing (tar pitting) rather than rate limiting. It’s a much weaker sanction, and doesn’t actually prevent spam unless someone is watching the logs, it just slows it down. Teergrubing does have its uses: and we use it on inbound MX where the (perhaps somewhat optimistic) theory is that it ties up sender resources.