Re: [exim] Internationalized email

Autor: Jeremy Harris
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Internationalized email
On 22/04/15 21:22, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 07:44:07PM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>
>> Lots of other stuff to think about.
>
> Question for the Exim team. It seems you have code for converting
> UTF-8 localparts to ASCII. What encoding do you use for that?

"xn--" <punycode>

(i.e. like a domain element)

> am not aware of anything in EAI that standardises such an encoding.

Nor me.

> It seems that Microsoft has an ad-hoc ASCII encoding for UTF-8
> localparts, are you using the same one? They use "xl--" followed
> by the Punycode encoding of the localpart.
>
>     https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn600431.aspx

> Are we heading towards a de-facto standard here? Or just multiple
> ad-hoc approaches.

What's the advantage of "xl--" over "xn--" ?
Not needing to know the context, that it is a localpart
rather than a domain, when doing a decode?

It would not be hard to change this aspect of the Exim implementation.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy