Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock for /var/spool/exim4/db…

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock for /var/spool/exim4/db/retry.lockfile: timed out
On Sat, 2015-03-21 at 02:16 +0000, J. wrote:
> Sorry to bug you with a likely non-issue, but I've been getting this message from root every day:
> Subject:exim paniclog on me.myserver.com has non-zero size
>
> Body:
> exim paniclog /var/log/exim4/paniclog on me.myserver.com has non-zero size, mail system might be broken. The last 10 lines are quoted below.
>
> 2015-03-04 06:29:05 1YUEMX-0002oW-Fs Failed to get write lock for /var/spool/exim4/db/retry.lockfile: timed out
> ------Any suggestions on how to address the issue? Thanks!

Delete, or rotate, the paniclog. The message is now 17 days old and it's
only a single line (unless there's thousands of them).

That event can occur when a system is highly loaded, or otherwise has
processes stuck waiting for disk IO (such as when a VM or VPS has a
snapshot or hypervisor level backup taken).

Probably nothing to worry about unless it happens frequently.

Graeme