Re: [exim] SMTP/TLS compression?

Author: Marco Gaiarin
To: Jan Ingvoldstad
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP/TLS compression?
Mandi! Jan Ingvoldstad
In chel di` si favelave...

> Consider typical e-mail usage for end users:

You are right. It is all true. And probably if there's really a bandwidth
trouble, other mean of transport (UUCP?) suit better.

But encoding of the attachment (typically in base64) lead to roughly on 25%
more byte, that can be regained easily with compression.

> For server to server connections, the overhead for compressing and
> decompressing may be undesirable.

Sure. I'm still considering some ''special'' needs, like a private network
with sites loosly connected each other, via not-so-private link so SSL is
needed.

Anyway, sorry for the fuss. And thanks.

--
  Se si insegna a un bambino a programmare in qualche linguaggio
  informatico, questo esercizio logico lo renderà padrone e non