Re: [pcre-dev] Dynamic symbols common to PCRE and PCRE2 libr…

Author: ph10
To: Petr Pisar
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Dynamic symbols common to PCRE and PCRE2 libraries
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Petr Pisar wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 03:46:56PM +0100, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > regcomp
> > regerror
> > regexec
> > regfree
> >
> [...]
> > The good news is that the only common symbols (listed above) come from the
> > POSIX-ish compatibility libraries (libpcreposix.so.0, respectively
> > libpcre2-posix.so.0). And they are not used frequently. (E.g. Fedora 23
> > distribution lists 18 software projects using the libpcreposix.so.0, in
> > contrast to 138 users of libpcre.so.1.) However, there is still some chance.
> >
> I realized the best news is that API of libpcreposix.so.0 and
> libpcre2-posix.so.0 is the same, so it's quite easy for distributions to modify
> building of all PCRE users to build against only one PCRE version. So the
> issue can be work-around on this level.

Yes, I think that's right. If any program that links with both PCRE1 and
PCRE2 is also wanting to use the POSIX API - and surely this situation
will be very rare - it can choose to link either with libpcreposix or
libpcre2-posix but not both.

So I don't think anything needs to be done.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel