Re: [exim] check_srv mx exists

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] check_srv mx exists
As Klaus said, it is perfectly valid for any domain to not have MX
records - instead it relies on the A fallback for email deliveries.

Many versions of Exchange will also try the A fallback, regardless of
the existence of MX RR, when all specified MX servers defer. This should
be considered a bug, but it must also be compensated for.

In the RFCs the A fallback is called "an implicit MX RR, with preference
of 0, pointing to that host." (RFC 5321)

When the MX RR would just be duplication of the A RR, some admins don't
see the need to add MX explicitly.