[exim] Primary_hostname - returns short name

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] Primary_hostname - returns short name
Hello,

I have two servers, both are running CentOS 7 and Exim 4.84. However, on
one server the 'primary_hostname' is being returned as the hosts FQDN
whereas on the other server it is returning just the short name.
I have checked on both servers that things such as '/etc/resolv.conf'
and '/etc/hosts' are correct (and basically the same), and that 'uname
-n' returns the short name as does 'hostname', and 'hostname -f' returns
the FQDN (on both servers).

I could set the primary_hostname on the servers but generally for our
local servers we use the same exim.conf file which has nothing
server-specific in it. The primary_hostname has been correctly
calculated by Exim on all our CentOS 5 and 6 servers, but for some
reason fails on this one CentOS 7 server.

I have looked into this, but simply cannot see why one server gives the
FQDN and the other does not. Both CentOS 7 servers have been set up the
same.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or suggestions of things I could
check?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK