Re: [exim-dev] Feature: support for compressed messages on d…

Author: Robert Blayzor
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Feature: support for compressed messages on delivery
On Dec 23, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:

> Why? If the intent of a quota is to limit disk-space consumption
> surely you want the compressed size.

The maildir message tags must contain the uncompressed message size so that Dovecot can deal with it. Technically everything should stay the same except when Dovecot reads the messages they're decompressed on the fly. So the mail tags need to have the real message sizes. (as does virtual size which includes newlines, W= tag).

That said, it would probably be even more broken if the quotas did not reflect that. Technically once we compress the data we're decoupling the message size from the physical storage size, which should be easily done with the tags. Disk savings via compression is a benefit of the backend storage savings, not of the users mailbox. (at least thats the goal)

-Robert