Re: [exim] Get original message_size before transport_filter

Author: Robert Blayzor
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Get original message_size before transport_filter
On Dec 22, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:

>> Is there a way to get the $message_size BEFORE the transport_filter?
>
> Copy it to a per-message variable in your data ACL

I'm not sure in an ACL this will work since technically headers could be added in the transport/router itself. Therefore, there would have to be a way to get the actual message size BEFORE it's passed to the transport_filter. If that's possible, great, but I'm not seeing it.

>> Transport filter seems to modify the size to the actual new size
>
> Yes, the documentation even points this out specifically.

And yes that's expected. But in the case of compression this will affect a couple of things. Quotas and maildir S= tags.

With compression, the message_size should be unchanged and to assume the input size prior to the transport_filter. (ie: transparent, assume no change in size)

I would think a setting to override this behavior may be needed. Something along the lines of "transport_filter_ignore_size = true" or something long those lines.

-Robert