Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2: Unnecessary substring number checks?

Author: ph10
To: Ralf Junker
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2: Unnecessary substring number checks?
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014, Ralf Junker wrote:

> pcre2api.html currently states the opposite:
>
> "A match data block can be used many times, with the same or different
> compiled patterns."
>
> Given my findings, this is explicitly NOT true then.

Why do you think it is not true? Once you have used a match data block
with a pattern, it is "attached" to that pattern for checking substrings
etc. If you then use it with a different pattern, it "switches" to that
pattern and that particular match.

I will add some words to that effect to the documentation. Essentially,
a match block captures the results of a match operation for a particular
pattern and a particular subject. There is no reason to stop you
re-using it for a different pattern or subject.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel