Re: [exim] Inject email into Exim, get Return Code if Tempo…

Author: mark david mcCreary
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Inject email into Exim, get Return Code if Temporarily Delayed
On 10/18/14, 1:05 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2014-10-17, Jasen Betts <jasen@???> wrote:
>> On 2014-10-15, mark david mcCreary <mark@???> wrote:
>>
>> so, set the retry timeout to zero:
>>
>> http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-retry_configuration.html
>>
>> I've never tried tr write an empty retry rule, perhaps it can be
>> written like this:
>>
>> * *
>> or perhaps like this:
>>
>> * * F,0s,0s

Jasen

Thanks for the idea, I never would have thought of that.

However, it's not working for me, as Exim gives a configuration error.

mccreary.com     *                 F,0s,0s

exim -bV
Exim version 4.82 #2 built 25-Feb-2014 16:39:17
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2013
(c) The Exim Maintainers and contributors in ACKNOWLEDGMENTS file, 2007
- 2013
Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 5.3.28: (September 9, 2013)
Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl Expand_dlfunc GnuTLS
move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning DKIM Old_Demime
Lookups (built-in): lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm
dbmjz dbmnz dnsdb dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 passwd pgsql
sqlite
Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl dovecot plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute queryprogram
redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Size of off_t: 8
2014-11-13 23:50:43 Exim configuration error in line 1449 of
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf:
bad parameters for retry rule

A possible solution is that Exim will treat temporary errors as
permanent if there is no Retry data in the config file.

From spec.txt

If there are no retry rules (the section is
empty or not present), there are no retries. In this situation, temporary
errors are treated as permanent.

Not quite what I want, but something to hang my hat on.

> what I didn't not notice was that you had put critical information in the
> subject line...
>
> cut-thru routing may help some.

I'm not sure what cut thru routing is with regards to Exim, so if
anybody could explain that it would be appreciated.

mark