[pcre-dev] Enabled by default in PCRE2

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: pcre-dev
Subject: [pcre-dev] Enabled by default in PCRE2
Hi All,

let me start with some good news: the JIT compiler is ported to PCRE2, and mostly working (or better to say it has not extensively tested yet).

But the main topic of my mail is starting a discussion about the default configuration in PCRE2. In PCRE1, we had a rather simple approach: everything was disabled by default. This allowed avoiding compatibility issues when new features were introduced, and made the library small. But it also has disadvantages: the default library lacks the needed features for many applications, and we get less feedbacks about different issues on various systems. We are thinking about changing this approach, and we would like to hear your opinion.

The core feature set of PCRE2 is the following:
- pcre8
- pcre16
- pcre32
- unicode
- jit

These are commonly used on many systems, and they are core part of PCRE2, rather than extensions. What would you enabled by default? Of course all of them can be disabled if needed.

As for me: pcre8, pcre16, and unicode.

Regards,
Zoltan