Re: [exim] Exim to convert UTF8 to Windows1252 + act as POP3…

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim to convert UTF8 to Windows1252 + act as POP3 server?
* on the Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 07:25:55PM +0400, Evgeniy Berdnikov wrote:

>> I need to find a local solution to
>>
>> 1. Send outgoing e-mails through Gmail's SMTP server
>> 2. Download e-mails from my ISP's POP3 server
>> 3. Convert those incoming e-mails from UTF8 to Windows1252 before
>> delivering them to my UTF8-impaired Windows e-mail client.
>>
>> It looks like Exim has no problem acting as a relay SMTP server to
>> reach Google
>>
>> http://islandlinux.org/howto/configure-exim-use-gmail-smtp-server
>>
>> but does it support the other two features?
>
> Briefly NO, because last two features are functions of Mail User Agent
> (MUA), but Exim is Mail Transfer Agent (MTA), it is not constructed
> for mail fetching and charset convertion.

Yes. You could use fetchmail to grab the mail via pop3 and inject
it into Exim, but then Exim would need to deliver it somewhere, so
you'd need to configure your own pop or imap server as well. And I'm
not aware of any ready made tools to do the character set conversion
you want, although it could probably be scripted if you did it
yourself or paid a programmer to do it.

Best option would probably be to replace your email client.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F