Re: [exim] Exim 4.72: preventing backscatter

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.72: preventing backscatter
On 2014-08-27, Konstantin Boyandin <lists@???> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone suggest better way to prevent Exim backscatter? Exim 4.72
> is in use. There are two solutions considered:

backscatter is bounce notifications sent in response to emails sent to
domains for which you are MX.

> 1. Set up proper ACL to prevent backscatter (verifying the sender before
> doing so)
> 2. Create 'catchall' router, intercepting all unrouteable addresses (I
> think this is better solution).

You should know which addresses ae legal for domains where you are MX.
doing recipient callouts and cut-thru routing are acceptable for
domains where you are MX.

sender verification is basically impossible,
but greylisting, SPF, and DBLs are all options.

> If I need to provide Exim configuration file, please let me know what
> parts I may omit/mangle prior to sending here.

domain, user names, names and IP addresses are fair game.
but to avoid confusion your mangling function should be a
bijection and be applied consistently. try to be obvious.

--
umop apisdn