Re: [exim] Exim 4.84 - segfault

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.84 - segfault
On Fri, 2014-08-29 at 13:26 +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 29/08/14 08:22, Warren Baker wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM, John Horne <john.horne@???> wrote:
> >> We have just updated our mail servers to Exim 4.84, and we are now
> >> seeing segfault errors on two (of three) servers:
> [...]
> > Yeah likewise - I have debugging but not enough (so will dig deeper).
>
> We've not settled on this yet, but for people being bitten by this
> and not minding a recompile:
>
> src/mime.c about line 600:
>
> replace
> uschar *param_value = NULL;
> with
> uschar *param_value = string_copy(US"");

Thanks for this.

I'm sorry to say that for some reason I am having real trouble getting a
core dump on one of our mail systems. It's running CentOS 5, and as far
as I know I haven't forgotten anything - set the 'ulimit', and set the
suid_dumpable to 2; restarted exim. I assume the core would be somewhere
in the /var/spool/exim directory. I have just set suid_dumpable to 1 to
see if that helps.

I have applied the above patch to another of our systems to see if the
segfaults stop.

One thing I am a bit confused about is that we have 3 mail systems, but
only the two virtual ones are seeing this fault. The remaining physical
server has not had any segfaults. I would have expected to see segfaults
on all three systems.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK