[exim] Routing through a local SSH tunnel

Author: Norman Walsh
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Routing through a local SSH tunnel
Hi all,

I currently have a router for mail to colleagues at my employer:

employer:
debug_print = "R: employer for $local_part@$domain"
driver = manualroute
transport = remote_smtp_employer
route_list = *employer.com mail.employer.com

with a corresponding transport

remote_smtp_employer:
debug_print = "T: remote_smtp_employer for $local_part@$domain"
driver = smtp
port = 225
hosts_require_tls = mail.employer.com
tls_certificate = /usr/local/exim/nwalsh.employer.cert
tls_privatekey = /usr/local/exim/nwalsh.employer.key

This works fine but mail.employer.com is going away and I'll be forced
to send mail through exchange. I can do that via SMTP by connecting to
exchange.employer.com on port 587. But that's only available inside
the corporate network and that's a PITA.

I can setup an SSH proxy to make, for example, port 1587 on locahost
connect to port 587 on exchange.employer.com:port 587 but my niave
attempt to rework the router/transport then doesn't work.

2014-06-26 11:14:46 1X0CJy-0005yM-JM <= Norman.Walsh@??? U=ndw P=local S=708 id=878uojfy15.fsf@???
2014-06-26 11:14:46 1X0CJy-0005yM-JM remote host address is the local host: employer.com
2014-06-26 11:14:46 1X0CJy-0005yM-JM == norman.walsh@??? R=employer defer (-1): remote host address is the local host
2014-06-26 11:14:46 1X0CJy-0005yM-JM Frozen

Can I make this work somehow?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--