Re: [exim-dev] proposal: new smtp transport option "tls_cont…

Góra strony
Autor: Viktor Dukhovni
Dla: exim-dev
Temat: Re: [exim-dev] proposal: new smtp transport option "tls_continue"
On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 04:09:21PM +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> Since a simple expansion can call a custom ACL, which might be
> given visibility of that certificate, we can get as complex
> as we want. It would be able to do the checking of
> SN/SAN against the peer name (hmm. Which one? The MX?) if
> we didn't get around to hardwiring that (and apparently if
> we did hardwire it we'd need an exception for DANE... is that
> true?)

You'd be inviting non-experts to mess with some of murkiest and
dragon-infested parts of PKI. Don't go there.

In DANE for SMTP the (RFC 6125 jargon) "reference identity" for
the server is a set of up 3 names. Each of which may match any of
the server's subjecAltName DNS names with support for single label
wildcards, but this is ONLY for certificate usage 2 and not 3.
With usage 3 non-leaf certs are ignored, as is the cert expiration
and trust chain.

DO NOT delegate this logic to users, they will get wrong, causing
both security and interoperability issues.

--
    Viktor.