Re: [exim] A way to treat 500 authentication failures as tra…

Góra strony
Autor: Ian Eiloart
Dla: Ken Simpson
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Temat: Re: [exim] A way to treat 500 authentication failures as transientinstead of permanent?

On 29 Apr 2014, at 18:11, Ken Simpson <ksimpson@???> wrote:

> Is there a way to have Exim treat a 500-failure on SMTP authentication with
> a smarthost as a transient error, and simply re-queue the message rather
> than generating an NDR?
>
> Our smart host sometimes generates a 500 on authentication, but it's not
> really a permanent error - just a temporary glitch. I don't want our users
> to see NDRs in this case.

The documentation for hosts_require_auth suggests that your desired behaviour is the default behaviour for the listed hosts. List them here, and you should be OK. But, check that your retry rules are giving sufficient latitude, otherwise messages will bounce if the smart host persistently refuses authentication.

hosts_require_auth

This option provides a list of servers for which authentication must succeed before Exim will try to transfer a message. If authentication fails for servers which are not in this list, Exim tries to send unauthenticated. If authentication fails for one of these servers, delivery is deferred. This temporary error is detectable in the retry rules, so it can be turned into a hard failure if required. See also hosts_ try_auth, and chapter 33 for details of authentication.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex