[exim] Authenticated users - Do not modify headers

Author: Steve Williams
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Authenticated users - Do not modify headers
I'm trying to set up Exim to allow authenticated users to send mail
from any local domains, without Exim adding the sender and return-path
headers.

Exim will authenticate users using AUTH PLAIN. However whenever an
authenticated user sends an e-mail the Sender header is set to be
<username>@<primary-domain>. The return-path is also set to the same.
I do not want Exim to change these headers. It is made worse when the
username is 'user@???', because the header values become
user@???@primarydomain.com - this then breaks SPF checking.

I only want authenticated users to be able to send e-mails, but I do
not want their usernames added to the headers at all. I also only want
authenticated users to send e-mail from the local domains on the
server. How can I achieve this?

I have already tried (possibly incorrectly) setting:

accept authenticated = *
control = submission/sender_retain

Any help would be appreciated.