[exim] RFC 822 local-parts

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Andy Bennett
A: exim-users@exim.org
Asunto: [exim] RFC 822 local-parts
Hi,

This isn't a question directly about exim but I figured that it's
relevant to Internet mail and people here might know the answer.

I'm trying to write a parser for eMail addresses based on RFC 822. I
want to be able to interpret things such as

andyjpb@???
Andy Bennett <andyjpb@???>
"Andy Bennett"@???
"Andy\ Bennett"@???

My trouble starts with the last two examples above. RFC 822 talks about
local-parts being "uninterpreted" however, their parser specification in
section-3 would decode the last two encodings to the same local-part.
When reencoding it, am I allowed to generate either encoding?

In other parts of RFC 822 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822#section-6.2
) they talk about "uninterpreted" parts of the domain and I'm pretty
sure that "canonialisation" of the domain part is allowed.

So, do I just have to preserve case in local-parts or do I have to
preserve the encoding in its entirety?

Many thanks for any tips that you can offer.

Regards,
@ndy

--
andyjpb@???