Re: [exim] Send mail via Port 465

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Yves
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Send mail via Port 465
Le 10/03/2014 10:38, soumya tr a écrit :
> Thanks James and Yves. I tried connecting using openssl command [tried
> connecting to smtp.gmail.com], and that was successful. Now I tried to use
> the normal command which I use in SMTP transactions:
>
> ---------------------
> 220 mx.google.com ESMTP gg3sm63604270pbc.34 - gsmtp
> EHLO abc.com
> 250-mx.google.com at your service, [X.X.X.X]
> 250-SIZE 35882577
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250 CHUNKING
> MAIL FROM: abc@???
> 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at
> 530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257gg3sm63604270pbc.34
> - gsmtp
> -------------------
>
> Its doesn't allow me to send out mail without authenticating. Does that
> mean using port 465 we will have to authenticate all the time before
> sending out mail?

I'm not sure what you mean... There is no automagical behaviour
associated with the number 465. This port, like any other, behaves like
you tell it to. Google configured its 465 port to require
authentication. You are under no obligation to do the same, although
doing so is sensible, in my opinion.

> Quoting from Wikipedia [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smtps ]:
>
> -------------
> *SMTPS* refers to a method for securing
> SMTP<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol>with
> transport
> layer security <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_layer_security>. It
> is intended to provide
> authentication<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authentication>of the
> communication partners, as well as data
> integrity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity> and
> confidentiality<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidentiality>
> .

I suppose "authentication" there refers to server authentication (which
SMTPS does provide), not user authentication (which SMTPS does _not_
provide). Destination server authentication is taken care of. Source
server authentication is up to you (eg. DKIM check). User authentication
is also up to you (eg. password).