Re: [exim] rewrite sender based on recipient

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dominic Benson
To: exim-users@exim.org
Betreff: Re: [exim] rewrite sender based on recipient

> On 8 Mar 2014, at 23:53, Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 23:15:00 +0000
> Matthew Newton <mcn4@???> wrote:

<snip>

> FWIW, under the hood exim uses a single configuration file even on
> Debian. It is just well hidden in /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.
> You can just edit that file and restart the daemon to test changes.

While this is true, the init script on Debian regenerates the config.autogenerated file on start/restart - so if you take this approach you'll need to kill and launch the daemon by hand.

> Once you have it working, edit the snippet under /etc/exim4/conf.d and
> run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, which will regenerate the single file
> and restart exim again.

Per the above, a restart will suffice.
Debian's exim4-config has an option to use single file or split config. Personally, I like the split config (but I seem to be in a minority in holding that view on this list), but if you use the single file mode then /etc/exim4/exim.conf.template (file name?) is used as a template, with the defines from dpkg merged in.

IIRC you can also create a completely vanilla exim config and put it at /etc/exim4/exim.conf and it will be [copied to autogen and] used.

In my opinion it depends how close to the typical Debian configuration your needs are, and who else is admin-ing. It can be somewhat confusing if the dpkg-reconfigure (to change accepted domains/relay hosts/smarthost) doesn't work. But it is even worse if it *half* works.

Dom