Re: [exim] Emails starting with a byte order mark (BOM)

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Michael Fischer v. Mollard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Emails starting with a byte order mark (BOM)
On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Michael Fischer v. Mollard
<info@???> wrote:
>> But nevertheless it might be a good idea to block 8 bit characters in
>> header names via an ACL test as even RFC 6532 does not allow that.
>
> Hello,
> I attached a patch which implements a „verify = header_names“ test as
> suggested above. At least it should be useful to users of cyrus imapd as
> cyrus won't accept such mails.

I like the patch because it's simple and straightforward. I think the
chosen "header_names" is a bit too vague for what it actually does.
You're checking to make sure that the characters in the header name
are ascii, whereas someone could interpret it or glance at it and
think that it checks if the header names are valid, not just the
characters in them.

I would like to consider a different, more specific, name for it,
based on what it is actually checking, maybe something like:

header_names_ascii (I'm partial to this one)
header_names_7bit
header_names_not_8bit
header_names_rfc6532 (though this could be more than just 8bit issues)

Do you have any other suggestions you think are better?

...Todd