Re: [exim] Documentation: Options Index

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-users, Terry
Subject: Re: [exim] Documentation: Options Index
On 2014-02-14 at 12:12 -0800, Todd Lyons wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Terry <tech@???> wrote:
> >
> > The Options Index page at
> > http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-option_index.html
> > doesn't display correctly in either Firefox or Safari. In three places, the
> > paragraphs are shifted to the left and not displayed fully.
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> > I took a quick look at the code and seems that these are nested <dl> tags.
> > From what I've googled, nesting <dl> tags can cause problems.
>
> I've never used a <dl> tag in my life. Time for some googling.

DL = Data List (IIRC), holds DT & DD in pairs, tag and definition. I'm
not a web programmer, but the HTML looks well-formed, with a DL inside a
DD. ISTR that I've even done this in the past, with hand-written HTML,
back in the mid-nineties.

Looking at the source, then at the referenced style sheet, I see this:

dl dd dl{margin-left:-180px}

That explains the left-shift, so the only question is _why_ is that
there.

I've looked with, on MacOS, all of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera.
In all four, all of the content can be fully viewed; it's an index, so
the text is brief, I can't spot anything missing. Everything's off to
the left, so the layout/typesetting is unsound and this is certainly a
bug, but I'm not seeing anything inaccessible.

> > For future reference, should bug reports be filed for the documentation?
>
> Yes please.

What Todd said. :) Flaws in Exim's documentation are bugs, just like
C level code bugs, just hopefully with fewer ramifications.

-Phil