Re: [exim] SPAM - Bounce

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SPAM - Bounce
Phil Reynolds <phil-exim@???> (So 26 Jan 2014 00:09:57 CET):
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 23:18:25 +0100
> Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> wrote:
>
> > > Hello guy's
> > > I need help for drop all bounce messages.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > You may put there an ACL for dropping bounces.
> >     begin acl
> >         …
> >         acl_check_rcpt:
> >             deny senders = :

> > But, I'm not sure if this is a good idea. How do you want to handle
> > legitimate bounces?
>
> My first thought was "Divvent dee that, man!" - for the reason you
> suggest.

This rule does not generate a new bounce on the rejecting system.
But of cause, it may cause a bounce on the sending sending the bounce.

Dropping messages (bounces or non-bounces) is a always bad thing as long
as I'm not 100% sure that the message (bounce or non-bounce) is not
legitimate.

> > If you're tired of getting bounces, you should read the spec about
> > BATV/prvs and implement it. Dropping bounces without further
> > investigation is not a good idea, they may contain valuable
> > information for your users (if they sent messages and expect somebody
> > to answer OR a bounce.)
>
> I got a heck of a lot to real addresses, with no real trigger mail. I
> found that checking SPF helped - though I realise this is not
> necessarily the answer and may cause further problems.

That's we've BATV for, it can help checking if the bounce had a trigger
mail.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome --------------- key ID: 7CBF764A -
 gnupg fingerprint: 9288 F17D BBF9 9625 5ABC  285C 26A9 687E 7CBF 764A -
(gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B)-