Re: [exim] Exim4 + fixed_cram

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Jasen Betts
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 + fixed_cram
On 2014-01-25 at 12:24 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:
> 465 is deprecated, yet becoming increasingly more common,
> most MUAs that do starttls also support it. it's the only way to
> submit mails to the gmail SMTP service.

Everyone can choose to "deprecate" something; what matters is who is
deprecating, and why, and whether or not their decision is likely to
have any impact upon you.

Port 465 for smtps as SMTP Submission with TLS-on-connect is not going
away. MTAs will not remove support. Mail clients which support it
won't stop supporting it. The lack of an SRV label for configuring
submission as such will tend to bias towards 587, but with the advent of
DANE we not only get DNS to confirm availability of smtps but also get a
little bit of downgrade protection for 587, bringing the _practical_
real-world security, as commonly configured, of 587 back up to the level
of 465. One day. Maybe.

Gmail supports both 465 and 587 but the latest site redesign of the
Gmail support web-pages means that I can't use Google's search-engine to
find a direct link to their authoritative list of supported ports. I
can get _to_ the list, clicking through a trouble-shooter, but that's
not a shareable link. Let's just say that this does not leave a
favourable impression of the processes and metrics behind their latest
redesign.

You might be thinking of IMAP and POP3, where Google only offer imaps
and pop3s on ports 993 and 995 respectively. For _submission_ via SMTP,
they have always offered both 587 and 465.