Re: [exim-dev] Doc building issue

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Doc building issue
On 2014-01-13 at 09:04 -0800, Todd Lyons wrote:
> non-ASCII characters (boxes/borders) and it's piped to the ./Tidytxt
> perl script which converts those characters to plain ASCII. The
> problem is that if the PERL_UNICODE environment variable is set, in
> any way, shape, or form (even empty!) the data coming in on STDIN is
> not treated byte-by-byte, but as unicode chars. The s/// command then
> doesn't match per ascii character, but per unicode character.

> The fix above was to add to the beginning of the Tidytxt script:

> +binmode(STDIN, ":encoding(iso-8859-1)");

I think that forcing the use of what is, at this point, a legacy
encoding is somewhat prone to breakage with other issues, such as our
use of UTF-8 for personal names.

I suspect that a better approach would be to unset the environment
variable before it makes it through to make(1).

What's the invocation mechanism for building the doc suite on the
build-farm right now? Any reason to not add a .build_farm.sh file to
doc/doc-docbook/ which can have the build steps needed, which might be
as simple as manipulating the environment before invoking make?

-Phil