Re: [exim] retry configuration

Author: Justin Scott
To: Anne M. Hammond
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry configuration
> My understanding is that for the first 2 hours, exim will retry every 15 minutes
> at Fixed intervals.
> But this is not occurring. exim tried to redeliver after 57 minutes.

Hello, the retry configuration specified the minimum time limits that
a message can be retried. You would need to have a queue runner set
to run at least every 15 minutes to get exim to find it in the queue
and see that it's time to retry delivery though. By default it runs a
queue runner once an hour. On CentOS, for example, this can be
changed in the /etc/sysconfig/exim file by setting the "QUEUE=1h" line
to a shorter interval, such as "QUEUE=1m" (we run a queue runner every
minute to ensure everything is picked up and looked at on a continuous
basis). Some platforms use crontab to run "exim -q" which triggers a
queue runner as well, so if that's the case on your system then you
can adjust the cron schedule to a shorter interval. If you're doing a
15 minute retry, a 5 minute interval might work well for you.

-Justin Scott