Re: [pcre-dev] Using PCRE upon Asian and other two-byte nati…

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: ND
CC: Pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Using PCRE upon Asian and other two-byte national codings
Hi,

PCRE supports 2 or 4 byte character encodings, but character properties are only supported for 0-255 character codes. In other words you need to use character ranges instead of \s \d \w etc. to detect these types.

There is another way, but that requires a lot of knowledge about PCRE internals. You can make a custom PCRE, where the UTF tables are replaced by data generated from the local, and change UTF character read macros to behave like fixed character reads. JIT also needs modifications to use fixed character reads.

I was once thinking to support unicode properties without unicode character decoding in native 16 bit mode, but that is easy only in JIT, the interpreter would need a lot of rework.

Regards,
Zoltan