Re: [exim-dev] [exim] Exim 4.82 LDAPS problems

Author: Viktor Dukhovni
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] [exim] Exim 4.82 LDAPS problems
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 08:52:05AM +0000, Alexandre wrote:

> Hi couldn't help for testing a bit further, I have found that the
> options, if set in ldap.conf or .ldaprc are not taken into account on
> my setup.

Since $HOME/.ldaprc is user-dependent, and Exim is not always
running as a predictable user, not looking there is more like a
feature than a bug.

I don't know whether Exim does this, but Postfix sets the values
of all supported LDAP table options to either the Postfix default
value for that option or to the value explicitly specified by the
administrator.

If Exim behaves similarly, then it would not be surprising if
non-default settings in ldap.conf, ... don't take effect, these
would be replaced by default Exim settings for the options in
question.

Thus .ldaprc options no longer taking effect could be evidence of
Exim option processing finally working correctly.

> Options (tested only cipher suite and cert verifiction level) works OK
> if the exim option is used (ldap_require_cert = allow), which is good
> enough in my case, but may not be what others expect.

Your report is very light on detail. Can you describe the tests
you performed in sufficient detail to enable someone else to
reproduce them. Along with each test description can you post the
observed results with the recently patched code and corresponding
results with an older exim release as a basis for comparison.
Include the content of any ldap.conf or .ldaprc files that are
pertinent to the observed results.

--
    Viktor.