Re: [exim] smarthost question

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Chris Muench
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] smarthost question
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Chris Muench <cmuench@???> wrote:
> I'm trying to configure a smart host and it seems that its forwarding
> inbound mail to the smart host also.
> I simply want to configure outbound mail to go through the smart host.
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2629083/exim.conf

Routers are processed in the order that they are in the config. It
tests the smarthost router first, and the way you have it configured,
it *ALWAYS* matches, so every bit of mail that gets submitted to your
exim will get sent out. One option is to add some condition
statements that will cause it to skip to the next router if it's not
local mail. Here is one example:

smarthost:
driver = manualroute
route_list = !+local_domains smarthost.example.com
transport = remote_smtp

To me, a better and more readable configuration is to order the
routers differently. Put the router(s) which handle local email
delivery first, *then* put the smarthost router to catch anything the
local router(s) didn't handle, which will then get sent to the
smarthost. With this flow, and if you have accurately and exactly
described your desired configuration, you shouldn't need any routers
which use dnslookup (i.e. send directly to a domain using a
remote_smtp transport with MX records).

...Todd