Re: [exim] Problem restoring messages to the queue

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Problem restoring messages to the queue
Pyromancer <pyromancer@???> (Mi 23 Okt 2013 12:40:39 CEST):
> An over-enthusiastic anti-spam system moved a lot of messages from a
> split queue into a quarantine directory. Having identified and
> removed the actual spam (data and header files), I tried to restore
> the remaining messages to the queue by moving them (-H and -D files)
> back to one of the split queue directories (/var/spool/exim/input/q,
> picked at random). However although the queue count returned by exim
> -bpc rose by the expected number of messages, Exim then complained
> that the spool data (-D) files were missing, even though I can see
> them in the directory alongside the -H ones.

The procedure should work as you described it. BUT, when you're using
split spool directories, you can't choose the directory randomly. The
directory has to match the last letter of the first part of the spool
id.

    1VYxQv-00027L-0I-{H,D}
         ^

These files are expected in input/v/

The 'exipick' and even 'exim -pc' report them regardless of the correct
directory.

BUT, you may place the messages directly in input/, as part of a
migration scenario flat -> split spool dirs Exim first checks the input/
dir and then the sub directory calculated from the spool id.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome --------------- key ID: 7CBF764A -
 gnupg fingerprint: 9288 F17D BBF9 9625 5ABC  285C 26A9 687E 7CBF 764A -
(gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B)-