Re: [pcre-dev] Auto-possessifying improvements in PCRE

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: Giuseppe D'Angelo
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Auto-possessifying improvements in PCRE
Hi,

>thanks for sharing these improvements!

you are welcome. I think it is important to share any major progress with the community.

>That is, it can detect that anything coming after the \s* won't
>include a \s, so it can possessify the quantifier?

Exactly.

>Are we going to see these optimizations as part of PCRE 9 (together
>with the new API) or do you plan to roll them in the 8.xx series too?

Currently working on the new API is a bit postponed, so this will be part of 8.x

I think the best way to improve an engine is finding performance bottlenecks. Especially when a large number of patterns from different sources has the same bottleneck. If anybody has pattern sets he/she can share with us, we can use them to improve the engine on the long run.

Regards,
Zoltan