Re: [exim] Authenticated User Ratelimiting

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Grant Peel
CC: Users Users, Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [exim] Authenticated User Ratelimiting

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the expedient reply, much appreciated.
>
> Two (quick?) questions:
>
> 1) My config seems to me to be quite complex and as such I don't want to
> break it, where in the ACL_CHECK_AUTH list should I place the paragraph? I
> am guessing right at the start....
>
> 2) Is the Auth 'per authenticated user' per IP address? i.e. I don't want to
> block a specific IP for all users due to 1 users overage ... hope I worded
> that question correctly.

Hi,

I think you mean you want a limit of 250 messages per authenticated user, per hour. Not, as Chris has read it, 250 messages per hour for the whole system.

For that, I’d use this:
ratelimit = 400 / 1d / per_rcpt / strict / off-lim-$authenticated_id

The "off-lim-" enables me to distinguish records from this rule from records created by other rules in my configuration. $authenticated_id distinguishes one user from another.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex