Re: [exim] Exim delivery spiraling out of control

Author: Russell King
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim delivery spiraling out of control
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:57:03PM +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 20/09/13 12:22, Russell King wrote:
>> I've disabled the queue runner, the exim daemon is currently in
>> queue-only mode (no -q argument).
>
> Um, you really want to run totally manually?

I don't _want_ to but at the moment I have no choice to stop exim
sprialing out of control. If I allow it to run the queue, it will
do it in what seems to be a completely uncontrolled manner.

> Meantime, what settings do you have on the
> smtp transport in use for these deliveries,
> for max_rcpt and serialize_hosts

max_rcpt is not set, because I want exim to deliver all message recipients
in one SMTP transaction. Also, serialize_hosts was unset. I just tried
setting it to *, and it still started running away.

> Also, how many processes is "a great number" ?

Even with the limits I've given, I see in excess of 20 exim -MC processes
one exim -M <message-id> where the message-id following -MC is different.
I don't recall the other parameters.

--
Russell King