Re: [exim] Limiting the number of pipe processes

Author: Viktor Dukhovni
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Limiting the number of pipe processes
On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 01:37:30PM +0200, Marko Lalic wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a way to set an exact limit to the number
> of processes spawned by piping received messages to other processes.
> Additionally, it would be nice if this setting could be applied on a
> per-domain basis (or router/transport).

Exim is very flexible in its filtering rules and general configurability,
from time to time I see Postfix users moving to Exim for the
additional flexibility. If you need Exim's flexibility, please
ignore this post.

Where Postfix is stronger is in robustness under load. It runs
in bounded memory with bounded concurrency, because all deliveries
are orchestrated by a single queue manager. The reason for this
part of the design is precisely the problem you observed.

If you run of options, you could do worse than Postfix. :-)

Of course switching MTAs should be your last resort. It is a lot
of work and relearning, so I would not do so lightly.

--
    Viktor.