Re: [exim-dev] Add case-ignore to exiqgrep

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Add case-ignore to exiqgrep
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:
> On 03/09/13 15:42, Todd Lyons wrote:
>>
>> It got me thinking that a simple addition to exiqgrep could
>> probably solve this. The -i option is already used, so I settled on
>> -I to trigger a case insensitive search.
> Why not make case-insensitive the default operation mode?

I spoke with Jeremy in IRC with my positions against this as the
default mode (basically, case insensitive searches are slower).
Jeremy stunned me with probably the simplest argument for case
insensitve search:

<jgh> my argument is that they're supposed to be interpreted
case-insensitively...
<jgh> so searching case-sensitive is almost always the wrong thing to be doing

Game, set, and match to Jeremy. Now I too think it should always be
case insensitve. Period. No option to change, nothing.

Agreement, disagreement? It's a simple change, and I'll commit it
after a few others chime in with ok's. I want to hear the ok's
because it changes the default operation of a utility from this point
forward.

...Todd