Re: [exim] ratelimit combined with dnslists

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exial
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ratelimit combined with dnslists

On 30 Aug 2013, at 08:29, exial <exim@???> wrote:

> hello list,
>
> with reference to outgoing (authenticated) spam - is there a possibility to combine dnslists with a ratelimit within a warn block?
>
> in other words setting lower outbound ratelimits (eg 10/1h) when sending host is on eg sbl/xbl.spamhaus.org.
>
> kind regards
> max

Yes, you can put this all in an ACL. We do something similar, except that we apply it to all non-local IP addresses. Oh, and to our Exchange server since it steadfastly refuses to tell us where the message sender was!

You might want to do something like this. Or you may prefer to use the sender IP address as the rate-limit key.

 deny
            dnslists =  rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net
            # ignore bounces, because $sender address won't be set
            ! senders = :
            # let people spam our partner domains if they like
            ! domains = +local_domains : +partner_domains
            # set an error message
            message = please do not spam
            # limit stuff
            ratelimit = 10 / 1h / per_rcpt / strict / rbl-lim-$sender_address

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex