Re: [exim] Why does exim keep retrying?

Author: Robin Powell (from phone)
Subject: Re: [exim] Why does exim keep retrying?
On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Dean Brooks <dean@???> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 12:44:12AM -0700, Robin Powell (from phone) wrote:
>
> > There are 3000+ retry database entries for *every* gmail IP, AFAICT.
> >
> > It's insane. I'm doing something very wrong, and I don't know why.
> >
> > When a 421 comes in, I want mail to that host to just *stop*, for
> > the full 12 hours.
>
> I apologize up front for the lengthy reply, just wanted to help give
> some insight into the behavior you're seeing.

Nothing to apologize for; this was *exactly* what I wanted.

> Normally when a message gets a deferral after connection or RCPT TO in
> an smtp session, an entry in the retry database is made with a retry
> key of the DOMAIN+HOSTIP. The idea is that there may be something
> preventing delivery to that host, possibly for a specific recipients.
>
> In your case, however, the deferral is coming at end of DATA in the
> smtp session. This makes Exim believe that there is something unique
> about that particular *message*, and as such, the retry key becomes
> DOMAIN+HOSTIP+MESSAGEID.

Ah-*HA*. I *thought* it was doing per-message, I just couldn't figure out
*why*.

;__;

Would something like:

gmail.com              *           F,7d,12h; F,999d,6h

solve the problem, at the risk of a bunch of false-positive 12 hour delays?
I ran that for a bit and saw no new retry rules, so I'm *guessing* that
4xx errors are not considered retryable in that sense?

If that won't work, I'm stuck with manually turning hold_domains on and
off, right?

Thanks so much for the help!

-Robin