Re: [pcre-dev] Proposal for a new API for PCRE

Author: ph10
To: Giuseppe D'Angelo
CC: pcre exim
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Proposal for a new API for PCRE
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:

> On 30 August 2013 16:50, Tom Bishop, Wenlin Institute <tangmu@???> wrote:
> > #define CHAR_LEFT_SQUARE_BRACKET (context->usingEbcdic ? EBCDIC_LEFT_SQUARE_BRACKET : '[')
>
> But you can't use anything like this as a case label in a switch
> statement, can you?

No, indeed you can't. In many ways, this is a similar situation to the
8/16/32-bit libraries. In principle, it probably would be possible to
have one library that switched dynamically at runtime between 8/16/32,
but it would be complicated, and performance would suffer. Given that
most applications use only one width, we decided to have 3 separate
libraries. My feeling is that the same is true for EBCDIC/Unicode.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel