Re: [exim-dev] MX record usage

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: SirNoSkill
CC: Exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] MX record usage

SirNoSkill wrote:
> Question:
>
> According to
> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=958414
> exim doesn’t work without MX record.

Never believe anything you read on the internet. Including this.

Exim will, with a standard/default configuration, deliver mail to a
domain that has no MX records but has a A record (with a few caveats -
for example RFC1918 address space). This can be changed in
configuration (both preventing delivery to other than MXes and the caveats).

> MX are not mandatory.

However they (or rather their lack) are also a good indicator of the
recipient domain being completely clueless and/or non-legitimate. A
site is quite at liberty configure their systems to not communicate with
such domains.

> As per RFC2821, if no MX is found, then the A record will be used.
>
> I was just writing to let you know that if this isn’t already fixed, it
> is a bug and should be fixed.
> And when I was attempting to send this message, I couldn't send, because
> the MX record is missing ...
> So it definitely isn't already fixed.
> So, Exim definitely is NOT conformant to RFC2821, and that should be
> fixed ASAP.

If you had bothered to read that error message it told you quite clearly
that you were trying to relay through a host for which you did not have
relay permissions. It quite correctly refused to take the mail. That
seems more than entirely reasonable.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel@??? ]
[                 Ellipsis Intangible Technologies                  ]