Re: [pcre-dev] Proposal for a new API for PCRE

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Autor: Ze'ev Atlas
To: pcre-dev@exim.org
Betreff: Re: [pcre-dev] Proposal for a new API for PCRE
I read the proposal carefully and fell in love with it.  This is actually very good and I will make more comments as I think about them.

The first point I have is that in the old PCRE, UTF8 and EBCDIC where mutually exclusive in some 'magical' way.  I would suggest that this should be in the context rather, so that the two code-pages could live happily together.  Somehow, I never accepted the fact that the 8 bit library that I compile in my port is deceivingly the same as the one that is compiled for UTF8, yet it does not produce the same results.  I know that my port is confined to that strange and obscure parallel world of z/OS, but in real life, EBCDIC data may and would trickle down to Unix and Windows based operations and ASCII data does come into z/OS servers.

Even fancier, EBCDIC has few code-pages in different countries (Greek, Turkish, Hebrew, Russian and probably some more) and so does ASCII.  Handling all this should be relegated to the context with the possibility of supplying a library of standard (and customized) code-pages (not only EBCDIC) rather then allowing the super sophisticated user to supply his/her rigidly customized character table in an obscure way.

I know that I am mixing two related issues (UTF8 vs. EBCDIC and ASCII vs. EBCDIC), but what I am trying to say is, standardize the chartable handling and manage it via the context.  We do not have to supply every code-page table in  the world, only the most popular.  I am sure that many people would develop such tables and would be happy to share them.

Ze'ev Atlas