Re: [exim] What's the performance benchmark of Exim4?

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: boyd yang
CC: <exim-users@exim.org> Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] What's the performance benchmark of Exim4?

On 23 Aug 2013, at 03:08, boyd yang <boyd.yang@???>
wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks!
> How do you store the emails for the 4 Exim servers?
> Do you use a central storage like NAS?
> Thanks a again!
>
> Boyd

No, we use local storage. Most messages are delivered within a second, and there's rarely more than a handful of messages actually queuing. Messages that are not queued are copied to disk before being accepted, but are delivered from memory, and then the disk copy is deleted. However, the disk copy is a precaution: it's the backup in case power fails. At least, I think that's how it works. Certainly performance can be improved with faster disks, and people have discussed the merits of using ram-disks (very fast, but little resilience to power failure). I don't know if anyone has tried using SSDs.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex