Re: [exim] IP Rotation

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Chris Siebenmann
CC: Exim .
Subject: Re: [exim] IP Rotation
On 20 August 2013 19:59, Chris Siebenmann <cks@???> wrote:

> | Yes I'm talking about outgoing mails. I have 10 IP addresses on my
> | Linux box. I want send First 10 emails from IP address 1 then next 10
> | from 2nd and so on.
>
> This is an open message to everyone on the Exim mailing list, because
> I unwisely can't hold my tongue any more. I know that you like solving
> technical problems involving Exim (I do too, it's neat). But maybe you
> want to take a step back here to ask yourself an important question:
>
>         Why are you spending your own time, gratis, to help someone
>         (apparently) avoid or bypass IP address ratelimits on their
>         outgoing email?

> There are very few legitimate reasons to want to spread one's email
> sending out among multiple IP addresses more or less at random and the
> original request did not explain *why* they wanted to do such an odd
> thing. Further, you (as a postmaster) would almost certainly not like
> it if a sender tried this trick (and I call it a trick deliberately) on
> you.
>
> I am not saying that you should not answer the sender's question or
> anything like that. I am just suggesting that perhaps you might not
> want to answer it reflexively, without thinking about why you are
> helping them out (and if you really want to enable this).
>
> I apologize if this is considered annoying or (highly) off topic
> for the mailing list and will shut up now. This is very much not
> intended as an incitement to a mailing list argument about this;
> as far as I'm concerned everyone can make up their own minds in
> private and there is no need to justify your decision to me (or
> anyone else).
>
>         - cks

The fact that the OP is looking into ways to circumvent legit rate-limiting
has been obvious from the word go.If his mails hit your server, perhaps
they will end up being tagged as spam. Perhaps not.

I believe the answers here are anchoring on the technical angle - that it's
possible to do such a thing with Exim.
They are not unwittingly helping a spammer. So let the solutions come in.
10 IPs are very few so he'll probably get all blacklisted within a day.
Rotating IPs within Exim is possible, but a direct answer to his original
question isn't that easy to find - for free anyway:)

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,