Re: [exim] What's the diffference between deliver_queue_load…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Heiko Schlittermann
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] What's the diffference between deliver_queue_load_max and queue_run_max?
Hi,

boyd yang <boyd.yang@???> (Mo 19 Aug 2013 10:51:41 CEST):
> Hi,
>
> What's the diffference between deliver_queue_load_max and queue_run_max?
> Are they the same?
> How can I know the "system load average"?
>
> Below are definition I got from exim spec:
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-main_configuration.html
>
> deliver_queue_load_max Use: main Type: fixed-point Default: unset
>
> When this option is set, a queue run is abandoned if the system load
> average becomes greater than the value of the option. The option has no
> effect on ancient operating systems on which Exim cannot determine the load
> average. See also queue_only_load and smtp_load_reserve.

As your system load (see /proc/loadavg on Linus systems), or uptime(8))
may be a critical parameter, and as queue processing uses system
resources, Exim can stop the queue processing if your system load
reaches a critical level. This doesn't prevent Exim from accepting
messages and starting a first(!) delivery attempt.

> queue_run_max Use: main Type: integer Default: 5
> This controls the maximum number of queue runner processes that an Exim
> daemon can run simultaneously.

-> as written: the maximum number of parallel running Exims processing
the current mail queue. This number is independend on the load of your
system. As each process locks one message, it's the maximum number of
of messages delivered at the same time. (Not the maximum number of
deliveries, as each message may have several recipients, which Exim may
deliver to in parallel.)

It's what I understand from the spec.

--
Heiko