Re: [exim] [EXIM] confirmation receptions

Góra strony
Autor: Michael Deutschmann
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] [EXIM] confirmation receptions
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, David Saez wrote:
> i cannot see why it's not possible to start with a "partial"
> implementation that does not return the message body

An implementation of RFC 3462 (MIME formatted bounces) would indeed be an
improvement over the status quo. At the moment it is embarassing that
Exim still uses an arbitrary bounce format.

I'd say it would still be improvement even if it did ignore the RFC
recommendation to send full message content by default. Other people may
differ though, as Exim's legacy bounce format does quote the full message
and thus the change would be a feature loss.

But everything else must be perfect before moving on to RFC 3461 (the DSN
ESMTP option). By advertising this option Exim would make a pledge of
standard conformance in this area.

The current "DSN patch" is actively harmful since it breaks that promise.
At least with vanilla Exim a DSN-using sending MTA will know Exim isn't
standard and take appropriate action.

> (does it explicity
> forbid to have a implementation defined lenght limit of zero ?)

Not explicitly.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael@???>