Re: [exim] running exim with more than one group ?

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] running exim with more than one group ?
Hi,

Cyborg <cyborg2@???> (Do 25 Jul 2013 20:50:31 CEST):

> Hi all,
> i saw that exim is running only as his own gid, even if hes in
> different groups.
>
> Any chance to get it to run with those groups too, without
> recompiling exim ?

Depends…

Routers may set a group for a given transport. The transport is free to
override the group.

Routers may set a user for a given transport. The transport is free to
override the user. And there is the "initgroups" option to setup the
supplementary groups of the transport user.

(Not backed with real knowledge, just from experience:
The uid/gid for the main process is set during compilation.
But as far as I see the supplementary groups of the EXIM_USER are
honoured. (We have the Debian-exim user in the Debian-exim, and in the
    ssl group. This is necessary to read the SSL keys we use.))

I think, chapter 23 of the spec is the definitive source of information.

--
Heiko