Re: [exim] [EXIM] confirmation receptions

Author: Michael Deutschmann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [EXIM] confirmation receptions
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, David Saez wrote:
> El 24/07/2013 10:37, Michael Deutschmann escribió:
> > I took a look at the patch (it at least applies with no rejects
> > against 4.80.1) to see how it handled what I would consider a really
> > hard part of the problem - the format of the DSN messages themselves.
> > Here, you have to:
>
> maybe a good start point would be to ommit the original message body
> entirely

That would not be an implementation of RFC 3461 (the DSN ESMTP
extension), since the extension provides a way for the sender to demand
that the recipient commit to including the full content of the message
when bouncing.

RFC 3461 doesn't actually go out and say "MUST", but it does say the only
exception should be an implementation defined length limit.

It's a little better as an implementation of RFC 3462 alone, (the MIME
format for all DSNs including bounces), but even that document says the
default should be to return full content.

By the way, reading RFC 3461 I see *another* bug in the Exim DSN patch.
The RFC specifies that the sender's preference for full content or merely
headers is only applied to failed deliveries -- for other DSNs (eg:
successful delivery) only headers are ever to be sent.

But the DSN patch sends full headers on success DSNs unless explicitly
asked not to. And, as I noted earlier, the patch does not change the
format of failure DSNs at all.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael@???>